President & CEO Bio
Peak of the Market was named one of "Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies" and one of the "Top 100 Canadian Food & Beverage Companies". The company has also received numerous awards including the "Agri-Food Award of Excellence" and "The Red Book Business Character Award" for its high ethical trading practices, business competence and financial stability. It has also received "The People Forward Award" for its rewards, recognition and retention strategy for its staff and "The Excellence in Leadership Award" for human resource programs that have resulted in measurable benefits for its employees. In addition, the "HSBC Bank Canada Business Award" which recognizes businesses that encourage employee volunteerism and the "Canada Brand Award" for initiatives that honour the value of Canada's brand image for respecting high standards of quality, wholesomeness and environmental protection.
Larry has been honoured to receive several awards including:
- "Canadian Red Cross Humanitarian of the Year Award" in 2015. This award is in recognition of Manitobans whose selflessness and dedication make them deserving recipients of the Humanitarian of the Year. Larry was recognized as a champion of numerous charitable causes.
- "Gold Heart Humanitarian of the Year" Award as awarded by Variety, the Children's Charity of Manitoba in 2013. This award recognizes Larry's generous commitment of time, energy and talent as well as his outstanding dedication to Manitoba.
- "Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal" in 2012. This medal is presented to honour significant contributions and achievements by Canadians.
- "Great Friend to Kids Award" as awarded by the Children's Museum in 2012. This award honours individuals that have made outstanding contributions to enriching the lives of children.
- "Top 25 Most Influential People in Produce" in 2010 as named by The Packer Newspaper based out of Kansas, USA.
- "Golden Carrot Award for Community Food Champion". This award recognizes a business person who has worked towards a more just and sustainable food system. Presented on World Food Day in 2008 by Food Matters Manitoba.
- "Businessman of the Year". The award was given out by the Consumers Choice Institute in 2007. The winner of this award was chosen by Manitobans through an independent and objective survey.
- "President's Award". This award recognizes an exceptional individual who has set new standards in business excellence, community leadership and the visibility/credibility of the industry. Presented at the Food & Beverage Manitoba Industry Excellence Awards Gala Dinner in 2007.
- Lieutenant Governor's Award for "Outstanding Contribution to the Community" in 2005. The award recognizes a business executive who has made an exceptional contribution to the well-being of the community and quality of life in Manitoba.
- "Toastmasters International Communication and Leadership Award" in 2004 for his successful promotion of Manitoba-grown agricultural products throughout the world and his volunteer work in the community.
- "Chairman's Award" in 2003 for outstanding service to the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce.
- "Agri-Marketer of the Year Award" from the Canadian Agri-Marketing Association in 2002. This award was to recognize and honour his outstanding accomplishments in the field of agricultural marketing.
- "Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal" in 2002. This medal is awarded to those who have made a significant contribution to Canada, their community and their fellow Canadians.
- "Qnet Quality Champion Award" in 2001 by the Manitoba Quality Network to recognize individual quality champions.
Further Background: From 1977 to 1993, Larry was with Dylex Ltd., a large Canadian retailer who had annual sales in excess of 1 billion dollars. He held several progressively senior management positions including Regional Manager of the Bi-Way Division (1982 to 1989), Vice President Operations of the Bi-Way Division (1989 to 1991) and Vice President of the Bi-Way and Drug World Divisions (1991 to 1993).
To quote from Robert Warren's Winnipeg Free Press newspaper article. "The actions of Larry McIntosh at Peak of the Market demonstrates 3 characteristics…" "First, he created a vision in which Manitoba products are known around the world for their taste and quality. Then he created a plan to accomplish this vision. The plan covers the key areas of marketing, identifying the right customers and providing them with the freshest product and at a price that delivers value. He's backed this up with an innovative and informative promotional program. The third area McIntosh mastered was understanding the rules of the game. He accomplished this through careful research and the development of a trusting relationship with his customers."